We love a good hearty homemade snack like pretzels and cheese dip to celebrate the end of the week or a holiday.
These easy sourdough pretzel bites with homemade cheese dip are simply delectable!! I usually end up doubling the recipe because they are such a big hit around here!
The Homemade Sourdough Pretzel Bites Recipe
During the chillier months, I'll pull out my sourdough starter and experiment like a crazy woman. Last winter we made these pretzels around a dozen times until we got the recipe just right.
The cheese dip we added just a few months ago and wondered why we waited so long to make it!
Sourdough Pretzel Bite Recipe
You can grab the recipe for the sourdough pretzel bites right here. This sourdough recipe book will give you tons of ways to use your sourdough starter.
If you are someone who is not into sourdough and have no wish to create a sourdough starter, not to worry! This is our favorite non-sourdough pretzel bite recipe.
While my pretzels are baking, I prep my cheese dip.
Instructions for making Creamy Cheese Dip
- Melt 1 Tablespoon of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle flour over the butter, stirring constantly, and cook for 1 minute. It should be thick paste. Next, whisk in the milk and cook until slightly thickened.
- Remove from the pan from heat and slowly stir in the cheese until smooth. At this point, you could add salt, pepper, or even hot sauce to taste. If it seems too thick, simply add a couple of tablespoons of milk.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat on the stove or in a mini crockpot.
If I am going to have the cheese out for a party or for a while, I will put it in my mini crockpot to keep it smooth and warm. You can also easily make this dip ahead of time and simply warm up when you're ready to serve.
The Creamy Cheese Dip Recipe
Creamy Cheese Dip
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose Flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 oz Cheddar Cheese (we like using freshly grated)
- 2-3 tsp hot sauce (optional)
- salt + pepper to taste
- Heat a small pan to medium heat and add butter. Then sprinkle flour over the butter stirring constantly, cooking for 1 minute (it should be thick like a paste). Wisk in the milk stirring until thickened.
- Remove from the pan from the heat and slowly stir in the 8 oz of cheese. Stir until smooth. Add hot sauce or salt/ pepper at this point. (If too thick, add 2 tsp of milk until you've reached the desired consistency.)
- Store extra cheddar cheese dip in an airtight container. Reheat on the stovetop or microwave before serving. You can also add the dip to a small crockpot to keep it warm while eating.
Pin it for later!
LEAVE US A COMMENT BELOW IF YOU DECIDE TO TRY OUT A RECIPE OR TWO. I’D LOVE TO KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!
LIFE ON THE FARM
OTHER DELICIOUS RECIPES FROM HEARTY SOL